A 5-year-old girl living in a ‘horror house’ where foul water washed back up the plughole was electrocuted by a “dodgy socket”.
Edith Jones and her family have been forced to move out of their home after an environmental report found their living conditions to be inhabitable.
YorkshireLive reported the family first moved to the estate in Princes Crescent, Doncaster, in April 2021, and got the move they were desperate for in October that year, as they were given a home that was supposed to be suitable for a family.
However, the nightmare property they were moved into turned out to be blighted by numerous structural problems and was plagued with health hazards.
A video shows problems with the plumbing which caused running sink water to rise from the bath.
Another set of images showed the house to be in an extreme state of dilapidation, with parts of the walls above the door completely fallen off and pipes and electrical wiring exposed.
The wallpaper in the house had also come off.
Other images showed electrical wiring running close to water pipes; while other pictures showed doors with broken hinges, radiators that were consumed by rust, and walls that were full of mould.
But Edith’s horrors almost became tragic as the risks in the home become more apparent and her five-year-old daughter was electrocuted by a “dodgy socket”.
Edith said: “We are still awaiting to hear from solicitor after my little girl, who was five at the time, was electrocuted by a dodgy socket.”
And Edith says the problems with the house mounted in her six-month horror stay as she was often locked out of her house because the street she lived in would be cordoned off by police.
She said: “I lost count of the amount of times I couldn’t get into my home after I finished work as the street was cordoned off.”
Princes Crescent in Edlington is part of a number of troubled roads in the town, which have been blighted by extreme violence, revenge arson attacks, drugs and rampant crime.
An inspection of Edith’s house carried out by Doncaster Council recommended enforcement action after finding several hazards.
A copy of the report found several category two hazards.
They included hazards to “personal hygiene, sanitation and drainage”, where the council found that a waste pipe was causing foul water to rise up through the bath tub’s plughole.
The report also found that an electrical safety check had never been completed on the property, and a power socket was detached from the wall.
The report also found fire hazards as the backdoor of the property was sealed shut, and there were no fire exit windows.
Edith, who wrote to Yorkshire Live after reading a report chronicling the degeneration of living conditions in Doncaster, said: “I spent six months on Princes Crescent and totally agree with your article.
“Let’s just say once my estate agent came and saw it for himself he had us out within two days.
“We moved in on April 25 and moved out on October 26. The fire brigade started the process with environmental health after they came out.
“I have plenty of photos of the state of the house that were used for the reports too.”
Edith has since moved out with her family, and says her daughter has made a full recovery.
Sergeant Chris Rogers for South Yorkshire Police, who oversees the neighbourhood team in Edlington, Doncaster said the force is keen to tackle antisocial behaviour in the area.
He said: “As a neighbourhood team, we work hard alongside the community in Edlington and Doncaster Council to tackle the issues that we know are affecting our residents and businesses.
“We know that antisocial behaviour is a key area of concern, particularly on the Royal estate.
“As such, we engage in regular patrols – on foot and in marked vehicles – to ensure there is a consistent presence to deter anyone seeking to engage in this criminality.”